JellyPages.com

Friday, September 01, 2017

DIVA Challenge 331 - Petoskey Stones


DIVA #331, by guest tangler Jane Reiter, introduced us to her local fossil stones Petoskey. At first, I didn’t quite understand what I was supposed to do in this challenge, but then I remembered that I shouldn’t just speed scroll down the page, but actually read it.

So this is not a new tangle, but we have to draw our own interpretation of a Petoskey stone design. Ha! I can do that, yes mam, I certainly can. And so I did - not just one, but two Petoskey stone tiles.

My first tile is drawn on a page I tore out of the Bangkok Post’s weekly ‘guru’ magazine from December 25-31, 2015. I drew my own Petoskey version and extended some of its lines to make tentacles; added Tipple to give the illusion Petoskey is actually a tangle; and then made the whole thing look weird by adding some flowy things to hold it all together. Don't they look like aliens from another planet?


DIVA #331 with Pattern: Tipple, and simulation of the Petoskey stone pattern
Pattern: Tipple, and simulation of the Petoskey stone pattern



In the second tile I used the same Petoskey version as above, but used each single hexagons as a Stepping Stones bridge across something yucky you don’t want to put your foot into. This time I emphasized the extension lines and used the Petoskey Stepping Stones as the diving bridge between light and darkness, good and bad, ying and yang…you decide, or all of the above.

WARNING! If you go across this Petoskey Stepping Stones bridge to reach the other side make sure you put your feet right smack on top of each yellow dot. If not, you will fall into the ‘something yucky you didn't want to put your foot into’ in the first place.


DIVA 331 with Pattern: N'zeppel, and simulation of Petoskey stone pattern
Pattern: N'zeppel, and simulation of Petoskey stone pattern



Animal Rare Day

I used to be a PADI scuba diving instructor, probably influenced by all those early underwater documentaries by Jacques Cousteau my father insisted on watching when I was a kid. Like most instructors, I, too, had a bucket list of u/w creatures I wanted to meet. I was able to hook off the likes of mud puppies, bottom dwellers, lead weights, and aquaholics, but I never ever came across a Sunfish. What a pleasure it would have been to meet one of those!!!






SIRDS again

Whoever read my previous 9er Mosaic FMT 179 & 180 post and tried to 'see'/learn to 'see' SIRDS images, here is another image.

If you still can't see the 3D object I recommend a glass of vine or two or more. Or look at the 2 dots at the bottom with your nose pressed against the monitor screen (almost), look behind the image as if the monitor was transparent, move slowly away from the monitor while watching those blurred dots become....THREE! (STILL NOT FOCUSING AT THE IMAGE!!!), and then move your eyes up into the grey zone. There it is!!!! It is a propeller airplane! (Now who wouldn't move earth to see THAT?)

Click image to enlarge!!!










16 comments:

  1. I just love how you've taken the petoskey pattern and set it free. You really have a knack for getting outside the box and interpreting patterns uniquely. I really like your style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your very kind comment, Heidi. There were already so many beautiful petoskey clusters out there, so I was almost forced to pull mine apart or nested them like Russian dolls. For the latter I run out of time aloted to the challenge.

      Delete
  2. Yep, I definitely see the aliens in your first tile---now that you mention it. However, I don't see the yucky stuff in your second tile. I just think it's pretty. However, I do see the yellow brick road on is way to somewhere on the right side. (BTW, I didn't try the SIRD's image. I have enough trouble just seeing what I'm supposed to on my lap top monitor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Suzanne, for having a good look at my content. The yucky stuff is there, just hidden, and the brick road is an optical illusion, same as in the SIRDS images. So please, and by all means!, heed my well-meant advice when you cross the bridge and step on those dots.⚠️⚠️⚠️
      ***The owner of this webpage is not taking any responsibility for any falls into the yucky stuff.***

      Delete
  3. What I see is two stunning tiles. Your way of interpretatie the challenge is GREAT!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Anne. Everybody else took all the cluster arrangements already, so there was nothing else left for me. That happens when you come late to a challenge.

      Delete
  4. I like both Petoskey versions,but my favorite is the second one, dear Susie. You used wonderful harmonic colors and your interpretation of the stones is very interesting. The bridge between darkness and light is very dramatically. Perhaps one should consider the stone bridge better from a helicopter. So, one can safely get to the other shore without landing ones feet in something unpleasant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea, Margarete, better use rotor blades to cross. Now how are we going to draw zentangle rotor blades? Something unpleasant is a pleasant way to say something's unpleasant, but when it is yucky, it is yucky, believe me!

      Delete
  5. Both of your Petoskey Stone tiles are just gorgeous! Wonderful interpretation of this challange! 👏👏

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your very kind comment, Annette. This is another example of 'when you can't draw it, fake it'.

      Delete

I'd love to hear from you. Please leave a message if you have time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...